Wednesday, February 2, 2011

But what about dessert?

That's right. Warm Molten Lava Cake. mmm....

It's a shame that I am the only adult in the household whom dreams of this dish. The husband will accept a serving right after it is made, but it's not his favorite. I am the one whom really loves it--I am a lucky girl!!! And yes, I have eaten the entire pan by myself (ouch!).



Warm Molten Lava Cake:
3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder (divided)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In an 8x8 inch glass pan (i've used non-stick metal, but it's just not as good) combine flour, sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, adn salt. Stir with a fork (or you can be like my dad and carefully scrape all the lumps out with a metal spoon. or be like my conventional mom and grandma and sift it all together. or you can be like me and be lazy and just use the fork).


This is the part where I say, "Wait, wait, wait....I have forgotten something. Oh shoot, the baking powder!" And then I mix it in as if nothing had happened (thank goodness I remembered before I had baked it!). And thank you, recipe for being so forgiving!


Then sprinkle brown sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, and chocolate chips on top of the batter.


Top with the hot water and vanilla. Don't mix these last ingredients into the batter. Just let them sit on top. Strange, I know. But otherwise you'll just end up with a strange cake. Which, of course, I would still eat. But you are wanting warm, molten, chocolate cake....I do, anyway!


Bake for 30-35 minutes (when the surface of the cake looks dry). The dish should be bubbling around the edges. Allow to cool for a short while (this is the hardest part), then serve with vanilla ice cream.

Leftovers (if you have any) may be stored for up to a day at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Reheat before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmm. I'm going to have to make this now. Unfortunately for me, I have 4 little ones that I'm sure will make me share.

    ReplyDelete